Thursday, February 13, 2014

Conversations with Grandma, "Grandma and Africa"

"You know Dawn, I never fully surrendered my life to God.  I always held onto it a little bit because I was afraid He'd send me to Africa.  And now I look at you.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that my little girl would be so surrendered to Him."

"Thanks, Grandma, now I have to go to Africa!"

A cloud of calm sadness shadowed her face as she learned I was going.  She didn't want me to, but she didn't argue with me.  Several days later, I received an envelope in the mail from her.  It was filled with newspaper clippings on terrible things that were happening in Africa!  The envelopes came here and there.  I laughed when I opened them, my heart softened towards her, but remained steadfast on leaving for the medical mission's trip.

Then the letters stopped.  I visited her and she apologized, "I realize you must go, so I'm sorry I sent you clippings to scare you. But I won't give you any money to go, so maybe you won't have enough and can't go."

"That's ok, Grandma, God will do it."  I kissed her and prayed for her as I always did before leaving her home.

Kenya, Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment